Saturday, September 4, 2010

Autobiographical Poem (Fall 2010)


I am awakened each day by my internal alarm clock,
I smile when I think of this one way that technology doesn’t run my life,
No annoying talk radio shows,
No music being blared in my ear,
And no obnoxious buzzing,
Making me want to turn it off with a hammer,
Instead of my fingertips.

The routine of each day is the same,
Go to class,
Read for CI, EPSY, SPED, and the American Novel,
Read and understand the important passages in each text,
And read for enjoyment,
But only after all other readings are done,
So I don’t become too much of a procrastinator.

I enjoy the simple things I am offered each day:
Taking Mickey for a walk,
Playing video games with Ty,
Playing “fashion show” with my niece, ("Okay, I'll be the prince."),
And playing board games with Kay,
“Do not pass go. Do not collect $200!”
“You sunk my battleship!”

I must find key times to relax,
To relieve any and all stress from the day’s activities,
Watching a bit of television,
Watching something humorous on YouTube,
(Checking Facebook..That's a must!)
And watching the sun set,
Slowly descending over the horizon,
With its splash of colors thrown against the sky at dusk.

Finally, it becomes time for me to go to bed,
But there is still more of my day’s routine to complete first:
Clean my face,
Clean my teeth,
And clean all of the books, papers, and notebooks off my bed,
Clearing my mind of the day’s activities,
Eventually letting the dreams take over.

I am a nailbiter, a dreamer, a hair-twister,
A daughter, aunt, and a sister,
I am...
Me.

2 comments:

  1. m a big fan of you Liz! just love every work of yours!
    u killed the last part :)

    ReplyDelete