Friday, April 27, 2012
Little Sacrifices
The above picture is the sun rising just outside of the school that I teach at on April 23, 2012. I normally get there at roughly the same time every day, a little after 6:30 in the morning. I like that it's quiet, and that I won't be disturbed by any other person, both student and staff wise. I found out that I have been hired back for next year, but I'm a little weary because I was also told that I will be teaching both junior high and high school English next year. While that may not seem like a lot to the average person, that is grading and planning for six different grade levels in total. Right now, I have three different grade levels, and 75 students, and I feel like I am always behind in grading. The up side is that I am noticing some significant improvements in these students' reading and writing skills, something that some of the staff members didn't think was possible.
I am very fortunate to have gotten a teaching job directly out of college, and I know part of that reason is my experience with working at a children's home for five years previous. A lot of my teaching friends weren't so lucky, and still do not have a teaching job. A couple of my friends think I'm crazy for not asking for a raise, but let's face it, there really isn't such a thing in the teaching profession. It just doesn't exist, especially due to what the No Child Left Behind Act and other so-called education reform laws have in place; they are taking money from schools that need them, and giving them to ones that don't. Well, that's a different argument that I will save for another day.
Anyways, I am going to try my best to stop and take in the little things. Much like the sunrise in the picture above, I know that each one of my students has a beautiful mind, but it may take me looking at it from a different angle. Rather than complaining about being up and at the school as early as I have been, I stopped to watch the sun rise for a couple of minutes, to sort of take in its beauty. I will have to search for the potential in each and every one of my students.
I was hired for this position because they hoped that I would make the changes needed to help these students reach the necessary reading and writing skills for college and beyond. I am determined to try and fail, try and fail, as many times as it takes, to help every student excel, even if it is only a little bit at a time.
That being said, I know that I have a tough road ahead of me, and many obstacles to overcome within the next school year. Furthermore, I realize that I will have to make little sacrifices here and there to ensure the students are getting the most out of myself, and my lessons. I have high expectations for them all. They had better be ready!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment