Monday, July 30, 2012

First Year's Survival

The very first thought that comes to my head is that I did indeed survive my first year of teaching. I never understood what that statement really meant until the end of fourth quarter. As I sat grading 75 research papers and entering in final grades, a slight smile came across my face as I realized that my first year of teaching was nearly complete, that I had “lived” to see the end of the year, as the saying goes.

Most people also say that the first year of teaching is always the most difficult, and the job will get easier with future years, but I disagree with this statement. Although I do agree that certain areas of the job will lessen and become easier on me, I know that there are always new challenges to face, both in out of the classroom for teachers across the United States. I think that if the job becomes too easy for a teacher as the years go on, then they are not doing their job correctly. I know that it is important for us to establish and maintain areas of routine within the classroom, but our lesson plans and teaching styles should never become a routine.

Teens nowadays are given multitudes of information through many different mediums, sometimes all at the same time. Therefore, why should teachers’ modes of teaching follow the same “boring” pattern? I only use the word “boring” in this case because that is the way the students would see their teacher’s lessons, especially if that teacher only used one specific teaching style and little variety to assess students and their understanding of the content. It is my goal to not become that “teacher,” counting down the minutes near the end of the day, not caring about the students outside of classwork and homework assignments, and giving minimal effort at my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment