Thursday, January 21, 2010

"HEL"



One of the classes I am taking this semester is the History of the English Language, which has a pretty interesting acronym--"H.E.L." My professor, who seems a bit eccentric and entertaining, told us how she almost started the class:

I wanted to bring in an old-school boombox playing some heavy metal. I was then going to do my best impression of the wicked witch of the west and tell you all...
WELCOME TO HELL!!!

I thought it would have been pretty awesome, but the image that she engraved in my mind does the same trick. So far, the semester is off to a pretty easy start, but that's always how the first week goes. I've got a lot of reading to do for this weekend, but it comes with the territory when you're an English major. :)

Quote of the Day:
"Language is a perpetual Orphic song,
Which rules with Daedal harmony a throng
Of thoughts and forms, which else senseless and shapeless were."

--Percy Bysshe Shelley

No comments:

Post a Comment